Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Unknown username "whoopsie" in message bus configuration file (Crouton)

For some time I had this notification "Unknown username 'whoopsie' in message bus configuration file" coming up when I started my Ubuntu-server on my Chromebook via crouton. It seemed not to do anything wrong but hey, I hate to see error messages popping up on the screen and not knowing what it really means.

In my search I've learned that the user 'whoopsie'  is being used for the error reporting daemon in Ubuntu.

System Description:

Toshiba Chromebook 2:
Intel® Celeron® Processor N2840
Intel® HD Graphics
4GB DDR3 1600MHz 
16GB solid state flash memory (eMMC)
13.3" widescreen FHD TruBrite® LED Backlit Display (1920x1080)
Stereo speakers tuned by Skullcandy
Dual array microphone,HD webcam
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Plus Bluetooth 4.0
Lithium Polymer (44Wh, 3-Cell) up to 9hrs
HDMI® output port
1-USB (2.0) port,1-USB (3.0) port
SD Card Reader + SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB (95Mb/sec)


Chrome OS:
Version 46.0.2490.82 (64-bit)
Platform 7390.68.0 (Official Build) stable-channel swanky
Firmware Google_Swanky.5216.238.5

Crouton script: 
(version Oct 22-2015) 

Linux: 
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Unity) on SSD with all needed desktop applications / printer drivers 
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS + LAMP on SD-card (WARNING!! When running this Linux, do not go in sleep-mode, as Toshiba will automatically unmount any SD cards in sleep-mode. Some models (Acer,Acus,HP) keep the SD powered while in sleep-mode and would not cause any problems)


What worked for me to stop the Error message? 

I didn't have a need for the whoopsie service on my development system,
so I wanted to make sure it was not installed anymore.

sudo apt-get purge whoopsie libwhoopsie0


Finding the config file where the whoopsie reference came from:

cd /etc/dbus-1/system.d
find . | xargs grep 'whoopsie'

in my case that gave the result:

./org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.conf

Edit this file: (sudo nano)

/etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.conf

Delete the policy section for user 'whoopsie' and save.

That should do it.


NOTE:
You might want to backup the config-file first before editing.
cd /etc/dbus-1/system.d
sudo cp org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.conf  org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.conf.backup

6 comments:

  1. Thanks. That is an annoying and very silly message. Hopefully now I shall be rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do I edit the file? I am sorry, but I am a noob lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can use nano as editor:

    sudo nano /etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.conf

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there any other issues caused by whoopsie?
    For a couple of years now I've been inundated by the upstream Internet provider which has breached my communications and caused havoc to my systems (I even recorded three different spectrum agents admitting to it, it's published on my site so I'll digress). I work in the I.T. field, in an effort to be able to use my end of the user agreement (i.e. taking my money and not delivering the service promised is profiteering or racketeering in my book), I am constantly having to change dns's, implement vpn's, utilize proxies and tors, and so much more. Although I share the internet connection with my mom and her computers are never attacked (despite the fact that I installed the same systems on her pc's) has me a bit hungry for more when I see errors such as "whooopsie".

    So my long-winded preamble is to ask if you can update this page for any new information about whoopsie errors (even after a fresh install of various linux mint distributions)?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I haven't encountered any issues in more recent versions of various distributions.

      Delete

Please be courteous, even if you do not share the same view.